I'm teaching a beginning contemporary class this year of ages 10-14, instead of just my usual 15 and up class, so it has been a challenge to find some music that is relatable to a 10-year old. In fact, when I tried playing the slower, lyrical-type music for the younger class, they asked if I had any faster or "fun" music.
So far (third week in), I have found a balance of "fun" and "serious" music keeps everyone happy - we are working on emotions in combinations, but then we keep it more upbeat during technique portions. What do you find works best for this age group?
Songs For Contemporary Combinations
All links open in iTunes
- A Thousand Years - Christina Perri - used this song in both classes
- Youth - Daughter - my younger class said this was too boring... haha! Teens loved it.
- Us - Regina Spektor - used this in my younger class
- Love The Way You Lie - Ariana Grande - younger class
- On The Nature Of Daylight - Max Richter - teen class
Songs For Contemporary Class - warm-up, across the floor
- Two Dots (Nic Fanciulli Remix) - Lucine - great steady beat for grande battements, chaines, etc
- Dance My Pain Away - Wye Oak - use for warm ups
- Too Close - Alex Clare - I just love this song right now!
- Up Up Up - The Givers - used in my younger classes for warm-up (I also use it in my modern classes) - it is a happy song!
- Home - Phillip Phillips - the Olympic USA Women's gymnastics unofficial theme song
- Collide (feat. Avicii) - Leona Lewis - another nice strong beat for across the floor
- Into the Wild (Live) - LP - I am obsessed with this song right now, I use it for warm-ups or cool down in my teen class