(Here's 2013's music list if you're curious... and 2012... and 2011)
Our first half of our recital had a theme which was "dance inspired by literature or literary themes", so you may notice that some of my songs are related to books.
Links open in iTunes, unless otherwise noted :)
- A Little Party - Fergie: Senior large group tap, called this "At The Ball" and had the girls dress up in fancy dresses, gloves and masks as if they were at a ball out of a fairytale.
- Talk Nerdy To Me - The girls titled this dance! We mixed together three songs for this "nerd" dance: Cool Jerk, I Wish (Skee-Lo), and Boom! Shake the Room (whattup Fresh Prince!?). This was a lot of fun to put together...:P
- Royal Rebellion - another WAY overused song, but I mixed Royals (Lorde) with the instrumental half of Emily Well's Symphony 2 and the Click Boom Boom (to attempt some originality) for a large group contemporary, ages 15-18
- Medicine - Daughter: large group contemporary, ages 15-18
- Youth - Daughter: senior contemporary duet, age 17
- Roar - cover by Tori Kelly & Scott Hoying: Tap solo, age 17 (YouTube link)
- Miss Otis Regrets - Bette Midler: Musical Theater Tap solo, age 14
- Eet - Regina Spektor: Contemporary solo, age 16 - can't pass up a year without using a Regina Spektor song!
- Crazy In Love - The Puppini Sisters: Small group tap, ages 13-15
- My Anthem - Christina Grimmie: solo, age 11
- Wings - Little Mix: SO overplayed at competitions, but my kids loved this one. In hindsight, I wish I hadn't picked such a popular song. Small group tap, ages 11-13
- Torn - Nathan Lanier: small group modern, ages 9-11
- The Gravel Road - James Newton Howard: Large group ballet, ages 9-12. Theme was "The Giving Tree", costumed half as trees and half as children
|"I'm Late" - white rabbit tap solo|
Loved this one!
- I'm Late - Mary Martin: solo, age 9, costumed as white rabbit
- Mr. Sandman - The Puppini Sisters: Trio, age 9
- Jungle Rhythm - The Jungle Book 2: Large group tap, age 5-6
- What's New At The Zoo - Do Re Mi Soundtrack: Large group jazz, ages 5-6, hilarious song, costumed as different zoo animals. I only wish I had a little boy to costume as a zoo keeper
- Technologic - Daft Punk / Happy - C2C - Large group tap, ages 6-9. Entitled "Cookies", they used Girl Scout cookie box props.
- Wizard Wheezes - Harry Potter soundtrack: large group tap, ages 7-10, called this "It's A Mystery" and we used magnifying glasses - theme was supposed to be mystery books
- Hawaii 5-0 Mix - JiveBunny / Wipe Out - Surfaris: Large group jazz, ages 7-10. Used beach props (towels, beach ball, surf board)
- Define Dancing - WALL•E: Large group ballet, used for ages 6-8 and 7-10, entitled it "The Jellyfish Ballet" and used umbrella props
Can I get a show of hands for who used an "over popular" song this year and regretted it? What was your favorite song to choreograph to this year? Comment below.