Monday, November 14, 2011

Blank Wall Makeover

I painted one of my studios this summer and hadn't gotten around to putting the posters back up. I guess I have been enjoying the simplicity of the bare walls. I felt like the wall above the barre was looking a little too bare, so I thought about what to do with the space:


  • Put the posters back up - our posters were getting faded and ragged, so this idea got thrown out - aside from looking for new posters.
  • Have someone paint a mural - might be expensive and I couldn't decide what to put up.
  • Some sort of special wall the students could help make (handprints, signing the wall)... 
I wanted something large and graphic but not so distracting that it would take away from class.  I also didn't want to spend more than $100 for supplies and /or labor.  I starting searching craigslist and eBay for any posters or large graphic. That's when I came upon this:


Wall stickers!  And available in a ton of colors too (found on eBay).  I decided to go with white so that it wouldn't be too distracting.

It was a little daunting when it arrived - the sticker comes in 8 pieces, each about three and a half feet tall by one and half feet wide.  The instructions said to tape all of the pieces on the wall first, but I decided to do one piece at a time.  I chose the one labeled "A" so I was at least going alphabetically.



After figuring the first one out, each piece took about 5-10 minutes to put up, using a credit card to smooth out the bubbles and edges.


The stickers are made of a shiny plastic.



The pieces overlap about a half inch where the arms and legs connect.



So far so good...


About an hour and a half later, I was all done!




5 comments:

  1. @tmrossi: Thanks! The kids enjoy them too - my youngest students like that there are 8 dancers... the "magic" number of dance.. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Hi, I represent “Ballet in Cinema,” which broadcasts live HD simulcasts of ballet performances from such companies as the Bolshoi, Paris Opera Ballet and London’s Royal Opera Ballet. The performances are shown in some 300-400 movie theatres across the country. All are shown on full-size movie screens. To what email would I write to let you know of upcoming performances, including this Sunday, Nov. 20, the Bolshoi with David Hallberg in his debut performance with the company? RLForsythe@RLForsythe.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blank walls were nice, but they were lacking something. In any case, the wall stickers work great there. They're simple, but effective.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...